Visit the spiritual center of Russian Orthodox Church
Sergiev Posad located 70 km away from Moscow, and being a part of the Golden Ring around Moscow, is often visited by travelers from all around the world.
Contrast of blue and golden cupolas and white walls - this color scheme lies at Russian perception of divinity. Sergiev Posad is on of the holiest place in Russia, founded in far 1340 by St Sergius of Radonezh. Since then, thousands of piligrims have been visiting this place and paying homage to him.
XX century was a hard test for all holy places in Russia, including Trinity Monastery of St Sergius located here. It was closed by Bolsheviks for several decades, but fortunately reopened following WWII. Since then it has been functioning as a museum, residence of the patriarch and a monastery.
Rulers and power changed, Moscow became much bigger, more modern and beautiful, but some things remain the same - and Trinity Monastery of St Sergius is still on of the principal spiritiual sites in Russia. Its massive gates, walls and golden domes are so picturesque won't leave you indifferent, and you will be surprised by observing believers kissing icons and praying for hours, and by seeing the grave of Boris Godunov and royal family members located here.
- Visit Trinity Monastery of St. Sergius
- Dive into Russian Orthodox spiritual life
- Learn dramatic history of religion in Russia
- Visit the center of matryoshka (nesting doll) production - Matryoshka museum
How to get there:
You can choose local train or taxi. Both options are paid by traveler. It takes about 1.5-2 hours one way.
Average price for round trip:
Local train: $6 USD per person one way
Taxi: $100 USD (up to 3 people) $160 USD (up to 7 people)
Maximum travelers: 5
Meet up point: Lobby of your hotel
Start time: 8AM, 9AM
Back to hotel: 4PM
1-3 travellers : $ 159 USD (total)
4-6 travellers: $ 229 USD (total)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Flexible schedule of the tour, which can be changed to suit your individual preferences
- Private English-speaking guide (Other languages on request)
- Professional advices on what to do, where to eat, how to get from point A to point B
- Good value for souvenirs, restaurants/cafes
Local train or taxi